Various foods that help reduce anxiety in kids
Anxiety is a common issue among kids, and it can have a significant impact on their daily lives. While therapy and medication can be helpful for managing anxiety, diet also plays an important role.
Certain foods are rich in nutrients that can support brain health, reduce inflammation, and promote a sense of calm.
Here are some key points on foods that can help to reduce anxiety in kids:
- Complex Carbohydrates: Foods such as whole grains, sweet potatoes, and beans are rich in complex carbohydrates that can help to boost serotonin levels in the brain, promoting a sense of calm.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids: Omega-3s are important for brain health and have been shown to reduce anxiety. Good sources include fatty fish, chia seeds, flaxseeds, and walnuts.
- Fermented Foods: Fermented foods such as yogurt, kefir, and kimchi contain beneficial probiotics that can support gut health and may help to reduce anxiety.
- Leafy Greens: Leafy greens such as spinach and fenugreek leaves are rich in magnesium, which has been shown to help reduce anxiety symptoms.
- Berries: Berries are rich in antioxidants and vitamin C, which can help to reduce inflammation and support brain health.
- Dark Chocolate: Dark chocolate contains flavonoids that have been shown to have a positive impact on mood and can help to reduce anxiety. A small amount can be offered along with fruits dipped in it.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is a popular Indian spice that contains curcumin, a compound with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Curcumin has been shown to have a positive impact on mood and can help to reduce anxiety.
- Ashwagandha: Ashwagandha is an adaptogenic herb that is commonly used in Ayurvedic medicine to help reduce stress and anxiety. It can be consumed in supplement form or added to foods like smoothies or tea.
- Almonds: Almonds are a rich source of magnesium, which has been shown to help reduce anxiety symptoms. They can be consumed as a snack or added to dishes like kheer or halwa.
- Saffron: Saffron is a popular spice in Indian cuisine and has been shown to have a positive impact on mood. It can be added to dishes like biryani or kheer for a flavourful and mood-boosting addition.
- Coconut: Coconut is a good source of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs), which have been shown to have a positive impact on brain function and can help to reduce anxiety. Coconut can be used in cooking, added to smoothies, or consumed as coconut water.
By incorporating these anxiety-reducing foods into your child's diet, you can help to support their overall health and wellbeing. Additionally, it's important to limit or avoid foods that can contribute to anxiety, such as caffeine, refined sugar, and processed foods.
Also, check for foods that has Ashwagandha