Eid is around the corner- Nutritional benefits of foods eaten during Eid
Eid is a special time for kids as well, and they often enjoy festive foods during the celebration. Here are some common foods eaten during Eid and their nutritional benefits for kids:
- Dates: Dates are a traditional food during Eid and are often given to kids as a sweet treat. Dates are a natural source of fiber, vitamins, and minerals, including potassium and magnesium, which are important for overall growth and development in kids. Dates are also a good source of natural sugars, providing instant energy for active kids.
- Meat: Meat dishes, such as grilled chicken or lamb kebabs, are commonly prepared during Eid. Meat is an excellent source of high-quality protein, which is essential for kids' growth, repair, and development of muscles, bones, and other tissues. Meat also contains important vitamins and minerals like iron, zinc, and vitamin B12, which are important for brain development, immune function, and energy production in kids.
- Fruits and vegetables: Fresh fruits and vegetables are often included in Eid meals, either as salads, side dishes, or as part of main dishes. Fruits and vegetables are packed with essential vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber, which are important for kids' overall health, digestion, and immune function. Encouraging kids to eat a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables during Eid can help them develop healthy eating habits.
- Nuts and seeds: Nuts and seeds, such as almonds, pistachios, and sunflower seeds, are commonly used in desserts and sweets during Eid. They are nutrient-dense foods that are rich in healthy fats, protein, fiber, and various vitamins and minerals. Nuts and seeds can provide kids with energy, healthy fats for brain development, and essential nutrients for growth and development.
- Dairy products: Dairy products like milk, yogurt, and cheese are often used in various Eid recipes, such as desserts and savory dishes. Dairy products are a good source of calcium, protein, vitamin D, and other essential nutrients that are important for kids' bone health, muscle function, and overall growth and development.
In conclusion, the foods eaten during Eid can provide various nutritional benefits for kids, including protein, fiber, essential vitamins and minerals, healthy fats, and antioxidants. It's important to encourage kids to have a balanced and varied diet during Eid, and to practice moderation in consuming festive foods that may be high in calories, sugar, or unhealthy fats.
Also, check out foods that can be included while breaking the fast
B.Pharm, PGD (Nutrition)
Paediatric Nutritionist & Lactation expert
Master in Foods & Nutrition